Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Summer Ham and Corn Bisque

Easter in June??
Well, when someone presents you with a ham, you just have to take it. Researching a wide variety of recipes for the ham, I came across one that seemed interesting and built off of it. A number of chefs use a soda, like coke, in the warming process to help keep moisture.  I took it one step further.  Basically making a Jack and Coke, with an addition of some cayenne and vanilla extract. Ham added, along with a glaze which I boosted up with some cayanne, vanilla and some coffee grinds, my take on a red-eye gravy dish. 




The ham turned out spectacular. And I had repeat visitors for breakfast!


Ham - 275*
Coke, Jack Daniels, cayenne, vanilla extract

Glaze - Glaze packet, Jack, cayanne, vanilla, coffee grinds, pan drippings

Onto the Soup! Corn bisque. Had this wonderful stock from the previous post, and I wanted to treat it well.  Playing on my lobster bisque recipe, I added roasted corn, and jalepenos. Smoothed out by a stick blender and this bisque was fabulous. Definitely the dish of the night.  



Soup:
carrots, onons, celery, corn, jalepeno, olive oil, sherry, taragon, thyme, chicken stock (from the brined chicken), cream, salt, white pepper. cooked then blended. 
Topped with avocado & roasted corn

Scalloped potatoes - 375* 45 min
cream, butter, salt, garlic, thyme, parmesean

No comments:

Post a Comment