Monday, May 24, 2010

Sunday Health - Miso Ahi & Sugar Snap Peas

After a couple days of eating lots of greasy food, it was time to put away the butter and pork products.  Luckily, ahi was on sale. In a daze of confusion, I randomly grabbed ingredients from the store and hoped that I could make order out of chaos come dinner time.  So, I laid out and prepped all my ingredients hoping for a spark. Sugar snap peas, green onions, ginger, ahi, and a salad.  The peas, onions and ginger went into a hot pan with some peanut oil and soy sauce.  Quickly realizing that I didn't have any sesame seeds, I decided I would dredge the ahi in a miso paste sauce (white miso paste, soy sauce, and a touch of sirracha).  Some of this mixture was added to the greens.  After dredging, the fish got covered in panko bread crumbs and then seared.  Couple minutes a side and my ahi was perfectly rare.  

Add some sliced avocado, fresh cilantro and some rice, this meal was not only healthy, but very delicious.  The miso dredging on the ahi provided a great base in flavor, didn't even need the dipping sauce!

1 comment:

  1. Made a version of this last night...

    I added some toasted sesame oil, garlic chili sauce, and rice wine vinegar to the miso, let it marinate for about 1.5 hours....

    was awesome

    thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete