Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hawaii Edition - 1

Kellan's Kitchen recently got a chance to relocate to the Aloha state. With knives packed and ambitions high, I was set out to use many of the wonderful tropical flavors Hawaii has to offer.  We had an incredible house, right on the ocean, complete with a pool & a killer kitchen.  Dinners were lively and lengthy given that we were all sitting around a big round table.  Truly how I like to eat!

Upon arrival, I was so anxious I couldn't contain myself.  I was so stoked to visit the grocery store and see if I could land some fresh fish & seafood.  Sadly, I forgot that due to being an Island state, produce and meat were extremely expensive.  So, improvisation happened. 


The first night shrimp was the main ingredient. So to accompany, I picked up some local portugese sausage, a staple in Hawaiian cuisine, some sweet Ewa onions, coconut milk, cilantro, and limes.  I deided I was going to make shrimp 2 ways with some flavored rice.  The first one, almost a taste of the south, was shrimp cooked with the portugese sausage, and sweet onions. The 2nd was coconut shrimp with cilantro and lime.  



Meal turned out fabulous. The coconut shrimp was the winner of the night.  A little tweak and this recipe is a definite repeat in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment