Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Shrimp Caprese Bruschetta

So, the family was in town this past weekend, and naturally we all gathered around the table for a nice family meal with wine and lots of trash talking.  I was given the assignment of appetizers.  I love trying new apps, and this one was no exception.  With not a whole lot of time to prepare and shop, this one definitely came together in the kitchen.  My idea was to use shrimp, and fresh basil. Building on that, I added some cherry tomatoes, smoked mozzarella, and pizza dough.  Without calling it a pizza, i tried to make a sort of bruschetta to top for the dough; pre-baking the dough with olive oil and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. I lightly sauteed the shrimp in olive oil, butter and a bit of basil.  Once cooked, I put the shrimp in a mixing bowl with diced cherry tomatoes, more fresh basil, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.  

I then added a layer of the smoked mozzarella to the pizza dough and put it back into the oven until the cheese melted.  Once finished, I added the shrimp mixture and topped with a bit of Parmesan cheese.  Sliced and served.  The app was pretty much gone before it made it to the living room.  My mom added a great suggestion of next time adding some arugula for a bit of bitterness & texture.  Great suggestion. This one is a new keeper.

1 comment:

  1. plus a bit of diced shallot and a squeeze of lemon....drizzle with good olive oil and good balsamic....

    ReplyDelete