Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving, 2010. Appetizers.

My family is pretty traditional in our Thanksgiving day offerings.  Pretty simple, some old family recipes, and some new traditions emerging.  For the 2nd year in a row my cousin Zach and his fiance Nina hosted the big meal at their place in Sonoma.  For the 2nd year in a row we deep fried a turkey, and I was to make appetizers.  For the 1st time, we got a little creative with the deep fryer (after dinner is where the fun really started).

As I was searching for fun and different appetizers, I kept my wits about me due to my constraints; no oven, no stove.  But, I had a deep fryer! As I lazily watched some food network shows, I saw an appetizer for crab salad stuffed potato skins.  Well, its crab season! So, tweaking the recipe just, I used dungenuss crab for my salad.  2 crabs mixed with a healthy spoonful of mayo, a small spoonful of dijon mustard, chopped chives & green onions, and a squeeze of a meyer lemon.  Upon tasting, some salt and a touch of brown sugar was added to the salad.  

The potatoes were simple.  Yukon gold, baked @ 350 for 45 min.  Cooled, cut, cored... and then Deep Fried.  Stuffed with the crab mixture, this was outstanding, and the plate was gone before I could fry some more.


My other appetizer (sans picture) was a play off of an offering I had picked up off of Iron Chef America.  I made roast beef crostinis. Using a very hearty Molasses Wheat Bread from Uncommon Kitchen as my base, I constructed a gorgonzola-horseradish spread to place on top.  Topped with rare roast beef, sliced green grapes, and jullianned mint.  This too was a hit, and will certainly be making its way to a wine & food pairing soon!


Lastly, the fun stuff.  Deep Fried Twinkies. Because pie wasn't enough... Pics to come.


And, a huge congratulations to Scottie & Kimmy on their engagement! Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment