Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday night inspiration

After neglecting a few posts and recipes, I finally got a chance to take a night and cook a nice meal after a long day of snowboarding. A quick back log moment; I was recently placed on the personal chef list for Tahoe Luxury Properties (www.tluxp.com). For the lovely ladies that work at TluxP I cooked them an array of dishes I had made before: Traditional Tuscan Bruschetta, Crab Bisque, and Vietnamese Sandwiches (pork loin marinated in soy, plum sauce, mirin, ginger, sirracha, sesame oil, and cilantro).

Anyhow, I was craving something that I knew I wouldn't be able to stop eating. Inspired by San Francisco's Zuni, I put together a chicken & bread salad dish that is usually a summer treat. Every time I've been to Zuni, I have always figured that the chicken was just a vessel for its bread salad, and not the other way around. Bread salad is something that we don't usually order or make, but man is it delicious. I think it should take the place of a lot of sad salads you see on restaurant plates.

The method to the madness was a technique I read about in the NY Times a few years ago. By roasting chicken on day old bread. Well, I skipped that step this time because I wanted to reduce the cooking time. Instead, I seared some drumsticks which had been marinating in the vinaigrette listed below, and then ripped apart the bread and placed it around the chicken in the cast iron pan. After drizzling the bread & chicken in the marinade and a bit of white wine, I put the pan in the oven at 400* for 30 min.

The chicken came out fabulous. I deglazed the pan with the rest of the marinade and used it to dressed the ripped crusty bread. Something a bit different this go around, I added a few julianne leaves of basil and chopped Italian parsley. Usually, I like to add roasted corn, however its not corn season sadly.


This is a great and easy recipe. Eat some bread salad! (not the best picture...)

Chicken - Zuni style

Marinade/Dressing:
1 orange
2 limes
balsamic
olive oil
honey
pepper
salt
cayenne pepper
dijon mustard
italian parsley
one basil leaf

Marinated, then seared drumsticks in cast iron pan in butter & olive oil
Rip bread and add to cast iron pan

No comments:

Post a Comment