Monday, December 7, 2009

Mac & Cheese

I've had the itch to make mac 'n cheese for a while now. Coming up to Tahoe for an extended weekend gave me the perfect opportunity to make this body warming dish while outside it snowed two feet.


Through a couple tries I finally have a trio of cheese that I really like to use. Fontina for a great silky texture, white cheddar for that sharp taste, and Grueyer because, well its grueyer. This time, I happen to have some smoked grueyer from a previous sandwich making endeavor. It worked nicely adding a very rich flavor to the pasta.

Because everything is better with bacon, that's where I started. Some bacon
diced up and fried until crispy. Then I added some minced shallots. A splash of white wine and let that reduce for a bit. I added about 1/2 up of whipping cream, some pepper (would have preferred white pepper, but none in the Tahoe pantry...) and then I added my cheeses. A dash of paprika and stirring until smooth.

I added my cheese mixture to the half cooked pasta elbows, topped with panko bread crumbs and popped it in the oven at 375* until golden brown.

Upon first dig, I realized my final product wasn't quite what I was looking for. Not all cheesy and gooey, but rather some very delicious and lightly flavored pasta. Note for next go, add more cheese.

All in all, the mac & cheese was delicous, and will be even better as a lunch!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah what is it about Mac and Cheese that it NEVER comes out cheesy enough. I always have the same problem as well. I sware you could dump 4 of the biggest blocks of cheese you have ever seen in your whole life into the little sucker and it would still come out w/o enough cheese! Where.. oh where does the cheese go?? Hmmmm..

    I heart the M and C from Solstice.. Green apple in Mac and Cheese? Sounds wrong but its ohhh so crunch, tangy and good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a garlic white sauce that I layer in.... Double these for the larger 13x9 pan. Believe me, you can't have too much of this stuff.


    1 Tablespoon butter
    ½ to 1 Tablespoon flour
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    Ground pepper to taste
    1 cup milk

    Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Blend in over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in the milk. Heat to boiling stirring constantly and boil for 1 minute. Then cook your shells and layer the cheese with the pasta! Minced fine of course! Add the white sauce. Top with more cheese!

    ReplyDelete