Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Crab Rolls

It's crab season. One of the greatest things about living in San Francisco is its plentiful supply of fresh seafood. Crab season is the granddaddy of them all in my opinion, and not as celebrated as it should be. I was walking through whole foods yesterday and too my delight I saw a big display in the seafood section. "Fresh Crab, cooked at pier 45 - $5.99/lb" I pumped my fist. I made some calls, and figured what better way to watch a great monday night football game than with some crab rolls.

So, I bought a crab, painfully cracked & fished all the meat out and set it aside. When I was a little kid, my japanese grandpa had this incredible dipping sauce for fresh crab. It was the only way they could get me to eat the tasty crustacean. But, simply the right portions of soy sauce, lemon juice, and brown sugar makes this crab sing. I took this sauce and lightly marinated the crab in it. Not too much, just enough to coat the meat. Being in this wonderful state, there is no better addition to a sandwich than fresh sliced avocado. The bread was Acme cibatta, toasted with olive oil & butter. This sandwich on its own is incredible. San Franciscans, and those that live somewhere near fresh crab, do this! Added to the center point was a no-mayo coleslaw comprised of carrots, cabbage, radishes, cilantro, and jalepenos. Dressed with redwine viniger, dijon mustard, and a touch of honey. Great contrast to the rich crab. To make it complete with the football theme, a baked potato.

What a great start to the week. Go eat some crab!

1 comment: